August 15, 2015 (San Antonio, Texas)-It doesn’t “feel” like the end of the year, but in the PBR time is running out for the bull riders on the “bubble” to make the PBR World Finals in October. There are only six Built Ford Tough Series events remaining in addition to the remaining Touring Pro and BlueDef events this season. Y-100’s presentation of the PBR at Cowboys Dancehall was packed with great riders gunning for the Finals matched with top flight bucking bulls.
Five of the riders competing at this event are presently on the “bubble” for the 2015 World Finals: Lachlan Richardson, Neil Holmes, Marco Eguchi, Justin Paton and Wallace de Oliveira. These guys need money and PBR points to keep their quest for the Finals alive. Far and away the big winner on the night was Neil Holmes-entered twice and winning first place and splitting third and fourth.
Holmes earned his keep in front of the standing room only crowd at Cowboys Dancehall. In section one he covered 511 – “Dump & Chase” for 85 points and then bucked off of 15 – “Cajun Blood.” He then went two for two in section two-riding J3 – “Johnny Bones Jones” for an event high 88 points and then finishing with 85 points on 82 – “Downtime.” All in all, Holmes’ 2nd entry marked at total of 169.5 on two to earn $1,478.24 for first place. His first entry totalled 87.5 to split third and fourth to earn an additional $671.92.
The only other man to make qualified rides on two bulls was Jorge Valdiviezo. Valdiviezo rode 91 – “Sudden Impact for 80.5 points in section one and then PBR Finals Bull 620 – “Cowboys Dancehall’s Blonde Bomber” for 86 points. His official aggregate score of 166.5 earned him second place and $1,119.88.
As a personal note, I would also like to congratulate Bullfighter Lane Smith of Spring Branch, Texas on his inaugural performance as a PBR bullfighter. Smith is a recent graduate of Smithson Valley High School and will be attending college in the Fall.
Matt’s “Match-ups to Watch” – HERE’S WHAT HAPPENED
- Marco Eguchi v. 36 – “Ray Charles” in Section 1. I maintain that this was a good pick. This was the bull they won the PBR at Cowboys Dancehall on in May of this year. It was indeed a good trip for “Ray Charles,” not such much for Eguchi–No Score.
- Neil Holmes v. J3 – “Johnny ‘Bones’ Jones” in Section 2. Neil had a great night-going 3 for 4 on the night-winning a little over $2000.00. This ride was AWESOME and it was the high marked ride of the event-88 points.
Official Results & Payout
Section 1 Results – UNOFFICIAL
Section 2 Results – UNOFFICIAL
Personnel & Livestock
- Producer: DVS Productions
- Judges: Dave Brock & Jimbo Kimbro
- Arena Director: Bo Davis
- Livestock: Currey Creek Bucking Bulls & JD Nix Bucking Bulls
- Protection Athletes: Jonathan “Taz” Talamantez & Lane Smith
- Safety Rider: JW Tucker, XIV
- Secretary: Tracy Prescott
- Photography: William Kierce of Kierce Photography
- Music Director: Nick “DJ Skeet” Abramow
- Announcer: Matthew Myers