May 16, 2015 (San Antonio, Texas)-With the great line-up of bucking bulls slated for this installment of Y-100’s presentation of the PBR at Cowboys Dancehall we knew in advance that the cowboys would have to rise to the occasion for this marquee event. Only two cowboys-Neil Holmes and Winston Lopez were able to answer the call and make the 8 second whistle.
In honor of Armed Forces Day, DVS Productions honored bull rider Steve Carter in the introductions. Carter, a PBR bull rider, is a former Airborne Ranger and Purple Heart recipient that served 4 tours of duty during his service to the United States. Now that Carter is no longer active duty, he has been able to revive his participation in the PBR.
Despite the pyrotechnics display that kicked off the event, the riders started the first section slow-going 0 for 5 to start the event. The first rider to make a qualified ride was Bandera, Texas’ own Winston Lopez. With his father, Noel, in attendance he was able to ride JD Nix’s 40 “Demon” for 81.5 points to take the early lead. However, Lopez would only hold the lead momentarily, later on in Section 1 the “Honey Badger” Neil Holmes wowed the capacity crowd with a 86 point ride on 36 “Ray Charles”-a perennial Built Ford Tough Series bucking bull. These two rides would be the only qualified rides on the night as the bull blanked the riders for the remainder of the event.
Personnel & Livestock
- Producer: DVS Productions
- Judges: Billy Cocharane & Jimbo Kimbro
- Arena Director: Bo Davis
- Livestock: Covenant Rodeo Livestock, Currey Creek Bucking Bulls, JD Nix Bucking Bulls, David Fournier, Koben Puckett
- Protection Athletes: Jonathan “Taz” Talamantez, Todd Yarbrough
- Safety Rider: JW Tucker, XIV
- Secretary: Tracy Prescott
- Photography: William Kierce of Kierce Photography
- Music Director: Nicole “DJ Qween B” Myers
- Announcer: Matthew Myers