The 2013 installment of DVS Production’s Gonzales Classic PBR event is in the books. A “Classic” event is a bull riding in which both the cowboys and bucking bulls are competing for prize money. Stock contractors, who raise the bucking bulls, pay entries fees to enter their three to four year-old bulls in the competition-the bull with the highest total bull score wins the event. Bull riders also pay their own entry fees to ride for the highest score and the gold buckle.
Only two cowboys were able to ride their bulls for scores in the long go-round. Brazilian cowboy Luis Blanco was 83.75 on Wilson/Garrett’s 011 “Red Dragon” and standout Mexican bull rider Hector Cardona scored 80.5 on Shepherd’s 1 “I’m the One.” The Fortitude Manufacturing Championship Go-Round was set for eleven riders so nine riders were drawn back on “time.” Being drawn back on time is picking riders who stayed on the longest, but still bucked off, to advance to the Championship Round.
No riders were able to make qualified rides on two bulls and Montana Wildman Jory Markiss was the only rider to make the whistle in the Fortitude Manufacturing Championship Round. His 87 point ride on Rebecca Shoemaker’s 707 “Strokin'” was the high-marked ride of the event, thus making him the 2013 PBR Gonzalez Classic Champion.
To me personally, this event was indicative of the amazing bull power that these stock contractors are raising through highly selective breeding programs. Fifty-one bulls were bucked at this event and only three were ridden-this is a 5.8% qualified ride rate. This is a statistic that tells me the bucking bulls are getting farther and farther ahead of the cowboys in a very rapid way. The question now is how the bull riders can even begin to make strides to riding a higher percentage of bulls?
- Jory Markiss 87 pts on one
Short Round Scores
- Jory Markiss (Missoula, MT) – 87 pts on 707 Strokin’ of Rebecca Shoemaker’s 5S Bucking Bulls
Long Round Scores
- Luis Blanco (Iacanga, Sao Pao, Brazil) – 83.75 on 011 Red Dragon – Hayden Wilson/Buddy Garrett
- Hector Cardona (Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico) – 80.5 on 1 I’m the One – Shepherd
Personnel & Livestock
- Producer: DVS Productions
- Judges: Jimbo Kimbro, Brian Wooley, Billy Wayne Busby, Lane Foltyn
- Protection Athletes: Todd Yarbrough, Ace Lloyd, Chris Hammack, Larry Gandy
- Safety Riders: J.W. Tucker & James DeBord
- Secretary: Tracy Prescott
- Music Director: Casey Deardorff’s Young Gun Sound
- Video Director: Jimmy Welvaert’s Wild Ride Productions
- Announcers: Creed Roberts & Matthew Myers
Official Results —>2013 Gonzales Classic